The Crooked Girl By Diane De La Forest Divonne

In England, during the reign of Queen Victoria, a little girl from the aristocracy was killed. She was found in the forest near London. Her body was covered with blood. Lord Mepheistos decided to investigate with his friends Lady Theodora and Lord Peter.

-Poor little girl, said Theodora when she saw the corpse.

-She was Lady Alicia, her family was that of the Count's, said Mepheistos.

-The Count? Wessex? I can't stand him, said Peter.

-You are maybe a duke, but you have to respect the Wessex family, muttered Theodora to him.

-She was killed by a blow to the neck, declared Mepheistos after having examined the body.

-Why would someone want to kill a little girl? asked Peter.

-Maybe it was an accident, proposed Theodora.

-I don't think so, the blow is too strong, responded Mepheistos.

-We should ask the servants or her parents if they have seen something strange.

The following day, the three friends went to the Wessex's castle. When they arrived, the Count Oscar Wessex and his wife Elisa were quarrelling.

-She was not your daughter Oscar, screamed Elisa.

-Sorry to disturb you, but we would like to ask you something about Alicia, said carefully Theodora.

Elisa went to her bedroom very angrily.

-What do you want to know, asked the Count.

-You are very proud, what was your reaction when you discovered that Alicia was not your biological daughter, asked Mepheistos.

-.....How do you know ...that, asked the Count.

-You know, dear Count, in the aristocracy, a secret never stays a secret for a long time, all the aristocracy knows that your wife was in love with another gentleman, responded Peter.

-.....Damnation....well, I loved Alicia even though she was not my biological daughter... The relationship between her and her brother, Thomas, was a little bit more difficult, but he could not have done that to her, said the Count who was crying.

-Her brother Thomas, asked Theodora, I know all the aristocratic boys but not him.

-He is very shy ...... and he has a problem with his leg...

-Thank you dear Count, said Mepheistos.

They went outside and stayed in the garden

-We know that the Count could not have killed his daughter, declared Mepheistos.

-Why, asked Peter, he has a very good motive.

-No, he is very proud, he will never kill someone because if he did do it, he could be arrested and executed in public, he is too proud for that, responded Mepheistos.

-His son, Thomas, I have never met him, said Theodora, it's strange...

-Are you talking about Thomas Wessex, asked a Lady who was standing near them.

-Yes, what is your name dear lady, asked Mepheistos, mine is Mepheistos Heegrave and these are my friends Lady Theodora Winchester and Sir Peter Crungle.

-My name is Victoria Mac Grey, my father is Sir Barthelemy Mac Grey.

-.....Well... and do you know Thomas, asked Peter.

-Yes and I can tell you that he hated his sister.

-Why, asked Theodora.

-She had broken his leg, it was her fault, since that day one he needs a cane, maybe he killed her said Victoria, but wait, I have to go, I’m late for an appointment. And she went away.

-She is very arrogant, said Peter, I find her irritating.

-....I think she is alright, said Theodora, remember in our society, you have to be pretty and have no physical problems if you want to have a good life.

-I have to go to the Baron Devon's Castle, I am invited to a tea party, said Peter.

Peter went to the castle. At the tea party, there were a lot of aristocratic ladies and gentlemen. One lady looked like she was worried.

-What's happened Lady, asked Peter.

-hum.....I am thinking about Alicia Wessex, poor girl...I know I should have done something when she slipped away with that strange shadowy figure.

-Can you repeat that, asked Peter.

-I said that I saw Lady Alicia with a strange shadowy figure who made a strange noise, repeated Mary.

-A strange noise?

-Yes, I think it was the same noise as a stick, maybe the person was walking with a cane.

-Just like Thomas, thought Peter.

-Pardon?

-Nothing Lady Mary, I have to go.

-Goodbye.

Peter left the tea party and went to Mepheistos's castle, where he met Theodora.

-Why are you so exited Peter, asked Theodora.

-I have found the murderer, responded Peter with a lot of excitation.

-Me too, said Mepheistos.

-Tell me your pieces of evidence, commanded Theodora.

-At the tea party, I met Lady Mary and she told me that she saw Alicia slip away with someone who made a noise. The noise of a cane, the person has a cane, just like Thomas, said Peter.

-And you Mepheistos, what did you find?

-I examined Alicia's body and I have found this!

Mepheistos showed his friends a piece of metal.

-It was in Alicia's neck, said Mepheistos.

-We have the murderer, cried Theodora.

-I think so, said Peter.

They went to the Wessex's castle.

-So....You are Thomas, declared Mepheistos.

A brown-haired man was standing on the stairs, he was tall, skinny, and he had very blue eyes, a little nose, and small lips. He was leaning on a cane.

-I am Thomas Wessex, and I suppose you are the Count Mepheistos Heegrave.

-Yes, I am, and these are my friends lady Theodora and Sir Peter

-What can I do for you?
-Why did you kill your sister, asked Theodora.

-Pardon?
-Alicia, your little sister, was killed and we think that you are the murderer!

-I never killed her! I don't have any motive to kill her!

-Of course you have one! Because of her fault you walk with a cane, she made you lose your leg!

-You don't know how I lost my leg, two years ago Alicia was four and me seventeen, we were playing in the ruins of the abbey when a stone fell on Alicia if I was not here, my little sister should been crushed by the stone, but, I put my leg out to break the stone’s fall and my leg was crushed by the stone.

-So, you saved your sister, asked Peter.

-Yes.

-But we have a piece of evidence, explained Theodora.

-What is it?

-A piece of metal, just like your cane.

-Impossible.

-Why?

-My cane is not of metal but of wood, responded Thomas.

-Can we see, asked Mepheistos.

-Of course.

Thomas gave them his cane.

-It's certainly not of metal, declared Peter.

-Can we borrow it, just for a little time, asked Theodora.

-...Sure, but please be fast about it.

They left the Wessex's castle.

-Why did you ask him his cane Theodora, asked Peter.

-We are going to ask Lady Mary if it was this noise, responded Theodora.

They went to Lady Mary's castle.

-Sir Peter, I am so happy to see you again, these are your friends, I suppose?

-Yes, I am Theodora and this is Mepheistos.

-We are here to ask you to help us, Lady Mary.

-Why?

-You heard a strange noise a few days ago when Alicia disappeared with the person. Was it this one?

Mepheistos walked with the cane in the living room.

-No, it was not that noise. The noise was stronger!

-Stronger, asked Peter.

-Yes, like I don't know, just like if the person had a metal leg.

-Thank you very much, said Mepheistos.

-Wait, I...I remember something

-What is it?
-hum, Alicia disappeared in the forest near the Okines's castle, but I don't think that Seysame could have done it....

-Why, asked Peter.

-Because she never goes out, her parents have shut her up in the castle, she never leaves it.

-Maybe her parents were guilty of Alicia’s murder?

-They live in India; they don't want to see their horrible daughter anymore.

-Horrible, asked Peter.

-I don't know why they call Seysame horrible, she is a normal lady...

-Thank you for this information, said Mepheistos

They left Mary's castle

-We should go to the Okines's castle, suggested Mepheistos

They went to the Okines's castle. It was a very big castle, very old. The central tower was a little bit crooked.

-It's funny, but this castle reminds me the nursery rhyme: There once was a little crooked girl who lived in a crooked house...I can't remember the end, said Theodora.

-Stop your childishness, said Mepheistos, how can we get in?

-We just have to do this dear friend, said Peter.

He rang the bell and a servant came to open the door to them.

They went to the living room

-Are you Seysame Okines, asked Peter.

-Yes......I...am.

Seysame was sitting in an armchair. She was wearing a beautiful green dress which was very long and big. She had a nice face, very pale with blue eyes, a little nose and very red lips. She had black long hair.

-She looks like a doll, said Theodora, she has no spots, she is very beautiful.

-How old are you, asked Mepheistos.

-I am sixteen years old, responded Seysame very slowly.

-Have you ever met Alicia Wessex, asked Mepheistos.

-....I...never go out of my house, I am shut up here forever.

-Why? Your parents are not here, said Theodora.

-They are not here because......I am here....They hate me because I make them ashamed....

-Parents love their children, I think, said Theodora.

-Not all, sadly...

-You have a beautiful jewel Lady, said Mepheistos

-It's not a jewel sir, it is a little bell. On the top are the initials of my grandparents: Anna and Wladimir. Oh, it is tea time; do you want to have it with me?

-We can't sadly, responded Peter, but we shall return to see you soon.

When they left the castle, Seysame was alone.

-Always...alone....., she said.

And, at the same time that she said that, a tear fell on her cheek.

***

Mepheistos, Theodora and peter were at Peter’s castle. They were reading some old newspapers...

- I have it, cried Peter.

- Great, said Theodora, let’s hear it then.

- Read it Peter!

- This article was written many years ago. “Queen Victoria declared that in Great Britain, parents must not mistreat or cruelly abuse their children or they will be punished by a court of law”, read Peter.

- That’s why Seysame’s parents live in India now, they forced themselves into exile to avoid being punished, said Theodora.

- But it’s mistreatment too, mental mistreatment, said Peter.

- Sadly we can’t do anything for Seysame, but we can find Alicia’s murderer! Declared Mepheistos.

- Yes, cried Theodora and Peter together.

* * *

Mepheistos returned to Wessex’s castle. He entered his bedroom and started thinking about the suspects. He thought that the culprit was Thomas and he continued to believe so when a servant entered.

- Sir, I have to talk to you, she said.

- What is it?

- Miss Alicia had a little bell on her dress, and she no longer had it after her death...

- A little bell? What did it look like?

- It was little, made of gold with Alicia’s initials at the top.

- I know where I have seen it... At Seysame’s house. She was wearing a dress with this bell around her neck!

- Seysame Okine? That’s impossible, she never goes out.

- Why, asked Mepheistos.

- Her right leg is lame; she has to wear a leg brace.

- That’s why she was wearing such a large dress, she didn’t want me to see her brace. And do you know of which material her brace is made?

- Of metal, I think.

- Just like the object with which Alicia was killed! Cried Mepheistos very enthusiastically. ... Theodora, Peter, come on! I just have to check something at Seysame’s castle!

The three friends returned to Seysame’s castle. Lady Seysame was sitting on a very precious armchair in the living room.

- Lord Mepheistos, Lady Theodora and Lord Peter, may I help you?

- Yes, Peter wants to invite you to dance, responded Mepheistos.

- Yes, ... I want to invite you to dance, repeated Peter.

- ... I can’t dance... with my leg...

- Yes you can, don’t worry, you can lean on me.

Seysame got up and danced with Peter.

- Stop, I know who Alicia’s murderer is now, said Mepheistos.

- Pardon, asked Seysame.

- Yes, when you walk, your leg brace makes a noise, the same noise as Mary had told me about.

- Thomas does the same thing, cried Seysame.

- No, Thomas only has a cane, not a brace like you.

- And, continued Theodora, why does the little bell around your neck have the same initials as those of Alicia?

- And, finished Peter, your brace is made of metal, just like the object with which Alicia was killed!

- Why did you kill this little girl, asked Theodora, and why did you kidnap Alicia four days ago?

- ...She betrayed me... she promised me that she would would stay with me if I helped her in the forest. A few days ago, Alicia was lost in the forest, she was crying and I came to welcome her into my home...

- That’s why Mary said that Alicia had followed the person who had made a strange noise, Alicia was not afraid of you.

- She stayed here for two days and seemed happy, but, yesterday, I saw her at the window, she wanted to escape, she wanted to leave me alone!!! Again, alone!!!

- But that’s no reason to kill someone, said Theodora.

- In this society, a lady has to be very pretty, my parents expected me to remain as perfect as I once was, but, one day, I fell from the stairs and broke my leg, I became lame, a cripple, and my dear parents shut me up in this castle, forever! I just wanted a friend... It was... It was... an accident, you see. Alright, I wanted to keep her hear with me, but we she tried to escape, I tried to hold her down but she became violent and started biting. I hit her with my brace, just to make her stop, but it was too hard. Look, just look what I have been reduced to. And now, you are here to make my life even more miserable. I hate all those pretty ladies, like you Theodora! Because you are pretty, perfect, your life is perfect... and my life mine is nothing!

Seysame lunged towards Theodora on the stairs. Theodora moved quickly aside and Seysame fell over the banister. Her head was hit on the way down and she lay unconscious on the floor. At the same time the candles which were on the top of the chimney mantel fell to the ground and started a fire. The oil lamp which Seysame was carrying also began adding intensity to the flames.

Our detectives quickly dragged the unconscious girl from the fire and away from the flames.

- Poor girl, said Theodora, She reminds me of an old nursery rhyme: There once was a little crooked girl who lived in a crooked house, who only knew a crooked love...

- She wasn’t the real culprit, declared Peter, she was the victim of her parents’ neglect, and they are the real monsters. Loneliness and a lack of love are terrible things. Only God can help her now...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Her head was hit on the way down and she lay unconscious on the floor..
___________________
Julie
Instant loans at an attractive low rates